In the life of Odessa there was a significant event, which left a remarkable mark in the history of medical education in Ukraine and for many years determined its prospect – the medical faculty of the Novorossiysk University was opened.
The faculty had brilliant prospects, as the prominent, world-renowned scholars worked in the New World. Until the opening of the faculty, the construction of the main buildings and clinics, which were built on the last word of building and architectural art, was completed. Admittedly, this faculty was the most prestigious and most equipped medical educational institution in Russia of those times.
However, this successful start was suspended by Russia’s war with Japan, the revolutionary events of 1905-1907, the First World War of 1914-1918, the October Revolution of 1917, and the civil war. It was time for the passage to begin to slowly rise after the destruction of the old system of higher education. However, the positive that was laid in pre-revolutionary times, soon began to bear fruit.
Even in pre-revolutionary times a world-known school of pathologists emerged, the founder of which was the first dean of the Medical Faculty V.V. Pidvysotsky. His closest assistants and students were O.O. Bogomolets and D.K. Zabolotny, who later headed the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. At the same time a large scientific school of the scientist – pathologist V.V. Voronin is formed. On his ideas were formed future prominent scientists V.P. Filatov, L.P. Dmitrenko, S.I. Vinokurov, L.O.Cherkes, M.O.Yasinovsky, V.K.Zhgenti and others. One can not but mention the cohort of the well-known morphologists – professors M.K. Lisonkov, M.S. Kondratyev, F. A. Volinsky, V. I. Bushkovich and others. Their original works have been recognized all over the world.
The Medical Faculty of Novorossiysk University was reformed into an independent higher educational institution – the medical institute, which again turned into a leading university of the south of the country.
In the 20 years of the last century, the main scientific schools, which brought the world-famous glory to the Odessa Medical Institute, are actively developing and developing. This is the Odessa Therapeutic School, founded by the students S.P.Botkin – professors SVLevashov and P.O.Valter, their successors were L.P.Dmitrenko, M.D. Strazhesko, F.G. Yanovsky, M.O. Yasinovsky At this time, the Odessa ophthalmologic school was developing fruitfully, one of the founders of which was Professor SS Galovin. Its further formation and the world record are connected with the name of academician V.P. Filatov.
Over the years of the independent Ukraine, our university has turned into one of the leading medical universities of IV level of accreditation. He is a member of the International and European Association of Universities. Due to this, the level of training of students and training specialists is close to world standards. Today, about seventeen students and cadets study at seven faculties and 66 departments of the university, and 4,000 of them are citizens of 52 foreign countries. Students of foreign students are trained in Russian, Ukrainian and English. Postgraduate education is provided by 250 postgraduate students, apprentices, masters and clinicians.
The teaching staff consists of 144 doctors of sciences – professors and 410 candidates of sciences – associate professors. Among them there are academics of state and branch academies, 42 members of foreign academies, 39 honored scientists and technicians, honored doctors and people of education, 10 laureates of state and other prestigious international awards.
The University has a modern material and technical base for educational, scientific and medical diagnostic work. It promotes the introduction into the educational process and medical practice of the latest advances in medical science, including endoscopic, laparoscopic, transplantology, tissue therapy, genetic medicine, and others.
In recent years, the unique scientific and medical units of the university have been created: own dental and multi-disciplinary university clinics, research institutes of molecular genetic and cellular medicine, research institute of clinical biophysics. Successfully functioning health and diagnostic centers established in cooperation with health authorities: cardio-rheumatology, eye microsurgery, osteosynthesis, endoscopic and laser surgery, pediatric cardiology, toxicology, etc.
The creation of a modern publishing and printing complex at the university has allowed publishing four scientific journals, licensed by the Higher Attestation Commission of Ukraine, textbooks and study aids, sponsored by university scientists. The educational literature of the “Library of the student-doctor” series is published in Ukrainian, Russian and English. Over the years of publishing, the world has seen 170 titles of educational literature with a total circulation of 205 thousand copies.
In December 2008 accepted the first readers of the new student library of the university, which has subscriptions for junior and senior students, a reading room for 140 people, a computer room, an electronic library.
The computer park at the university has about 1000 computers.